"Thomas, son of William Pickard and Jennett Atkinson, was born and raised in the Halton County, Ontario. Thomas married Frances Cunningham in 1859. They moved to Bruce County in the early 1860s. Thomas and his brother-in-law, Joseph Cunningham, operated a sawmill in Greenock Township near Cunningham Lake. In 1863, Thomas built a log house for his family in Glammis. He later purchased a saw mill in Glammis employing three, turning out 800,000 feet of lumber, 1,000 squares of shingles and 100,000 lath annually.
Quoting from The Paisley Advocate on June 25th, 1885:
"First and foremost comes the mills of Mr. Thomas Pickard. This gentleman has done much for the village and he is looked upon as the backbone of the place. He owns over two hundred acres on the Greenock side of the place. The greater portion of the village lots in that section being surveyed from his land. Mr. Pickard has on one section of his property a saw and shingle mill and on the other a cheese box factory. The sawmill is a fine large one, fitted up with the latest machinery. In the yard is a very large number of logs ready to be made into lumber, lathes and shingles. In the other factory there are five of the latest improved machines used in the manufacture of cheese boxes, besides lesser machines. Mr. P.’s reputation as an A-1 cheese box maker is growing fast; two years ago he started in this line and today he has more than he calculated for."
Thomas' cheese box factory supplied about twenty cheese factories with his annual production of 40,000 boxes. Thomas Pickard was also a partner of Pickard and Rowan, which held extensive timber rights in northern Bruce and Grey Counties and operated a large sawmill in Owen Sound. Another partnership, Pickard and Brown, had a sawmill in Mar on the Bruce Peninsula. Thomas Pickard was also a partner of Pickard and Rowan, which held extensive timber rights in northern Bruce and Grey Counties and operated a large sawmill in Owen Sound. Another partnership, Pickard and Brown, had a sawmill in Mar on the Bruce Peninsula.
Thomas was active in the community as a founding member of the Glamis Baptist Church which was organized in 1874 and as the person who planted maple trees on the south side of the main road from Tiverton. He served one term on the Greenock Council in 1878 and was Secretary of the Glammis Ploughing Club which held the first Bruce County Ploughing Match in 1886. He built three homes in Glammis: the log house mentioned previously, a lovely 2 story home just north of the main intersection, and a veritable mansion, an Italianate-style yellow brick home built between 1884 and 1889 at the east end of Glammis called Spruce Lawn.
Thomas retired to Toronto in 1906. He is buried in Purdy Cemetery near Glammis."
(All taken from the book, Glammis Then and Now by the Glamis Historical Researchers, John Kaminski editor)