"Peter Stewart McLaren, of the Village of Tiverton is the son of John D. McLaren, who emigrated to Canada from Perthshire, Scotland, in 1815, when but eleven years of age, with his father, who settled first in the Township of Lochiel. The subject of this sketch was born in the County of Prescott in 1829, being the eldest son of the family. In the fall of 1851 the family came to Canada, and located the same year in the Township and County of Bruce. There were at that time very few settlers in the township, what few were there being only “Squatters,” as the land was not brought into market till 1854.
Mr. McLaren has followed lumbering quite extensively in the Ottawa Valley, and even after the removal of the family to Bruce he returned East and re-engaged in that occupation there for some years. Since taking up his permanent residence here in 1863 he has been engaged in farming, contracting, and produce dealing. He has a beautiful farm near the Village of Tiverton, and is one of the leading men of the community in all matters of agriculture, commerce, and finance; besides which he is a Justice of the Peace, and has served his township in a number of years in the Municipal Council."
Belden 1880 Atlas of the County of Bruce