"John S. Tolton, of Walkerton is the second son of Henry Tolton, from Oxford, England whence he emigrated with his family to Canada in 1828, and settled at the present site of the City of Guelph, when it was but an embryo backwoods village. Here he took up land from the Canada Company, and here the subject of this sketch remained, engaged in agricultural pursuits till twenty-two years 'of age, when he removed to the then wilderness of Bruce County, and located on Lot A., Con. 13, Brant, south of the Durham Road.
Mr. Tolton has been engaged in a variety of occupations, all with a good degree of business success, among them being included some large railway and public works contracts in various parts of Canada and the United States. He is now an extensive produce merchant, and interests himself actively in all matters tending to the advancement of agriculture, being Vice-President of the Northern Exhibition Association of Walkerton.
In politics Mr. Tolton is strongly Conservative, and one of the most active men of the party in the constituency to which he belongs. His abilities in this direction have been gracefully acknowledged by his fellow Conservatives selecting him as a candidate for parliamentary honors, but private reasons induced him to decline this proffer of their confidence. In all matters of public concern, as well as in politics, Mr. Tolton is an active participant, and is looked upon by his fellow-citizens, irrespective of party, as one of the most useful men of the community."
Belden 1880 Atlas of the County of Bruce