"Alexander McCarter, of Brant Township, was born at Brechin, Forfarshire, Scotland, January l0th, 1821. After working for a time, when a boy, at farming, he learned the blacksmith's trade, after which he enlisted and served for a short time in the East India Company's Artillery. In the spring of 1844 he entered the service of the Hudson Bay Company, and during nearly six years spent with them he was located successively at Stromness (Orkney), York Factory (Hudson Bay), Norway House, Lower Fort Garry, and Fort Arthabasca. In the fall of 1849 he returned to his native place, where he remained for three years, emigrating to Canada in 1852. He settled first in the Township of Ramsay, whence he removed to the embryo Village of Walkerton in 1856. He followed his trade here till 1867, when he purchased a farm near the town, on the Durham Road, where he still resides."
Belden 1880 Atlas of the County of Bruce